A New Year - Let's be Better!



So, we all have this warm and gushy feeling come over us the evening of December 31.  For my family it starts around 9 pm, and it grows exponentially until the bell tolls 12 and we move forward into a new year.  This warmth starts mid-day on December 24 and grows until January 2. 

We pop the plastic stopper on a bottle of champagne at midnight on the 31st of December, to either congratulate ourselves for making it through another year, or to welcome in the new year.   I don't think we really know which at this point, we sort of do it as a habit more than a celebration or good bye.

As I get older, I think popping the champagne bottle cork is more like saying "Whew, made it through another year, let's try this again shall we?". 

"Hope I make it another year without doing anything stupid!"

I imagine that bringing in a new year - for most - isn't about flipping the calendar, it's more about hope, about renewal, about doing something we didn't in the previous year, or - alternately - not doing something we did the previous year.

To me - it's mostly about self-reflection; an examination of conscience or morality. Can I be better, do more, be more, spend less?  

I don't make New Year's resolutions as I find they simply don't last.  I often break them after only a few days.  Instead I tell myself I will get more exercise, eat less and better, donate a bit more money and time to charity, and help those who need help.

I also write up a new 5 year plan to be fiscally responsible.  But, as with life, the unexpected always happens and the plan gets blown up and started again.  Usually the same goals, but stretched a little longer, or adjusted to be less costly.

This year, I'd like to spend more time doing a few things I love; photography, graphics, golf and maybe get back into playing softball or curling. 

But I also want to help make life better for others.  My motto is to make my section of  the world a better place when I leave it than how I found it. 

Of course, like most people, I am hoping this Pandemic ends and we can get back to normal life.  We were almost there in the summer of 2021!  I doubt we will ever see the end of Covid, hopefully the symptoms - for most - will be mild in the future. 



 

If anything good could come from this, a call to enhance our medical system would be it. We've coasted for so long without major upgrades to our Health Care System.  But we now have millions more people in Canada, and they are a lot older, and this one Pandemic has shown us how fragile our system is.

Nurses and doctors are ageing and retiring, while the cost of becoming a medical professional is simply much too high.  If our government was serious, instead of shut downs, curfews, closing businesses they'd subsidize education for medical professionals, from orderlies to surgeons.  They would build more hospitals and create more walk-in clinics with some - at least limited capacity - for urgent needs.

Let's face it; shutting down businesses cost people their livelihood, cost employees their jobs and as such also cost the various levels of government huge amounts of taxes.  Keeping businesses open but enhancing the medical system is a better long-term option.

Well, here's to a better 2022! Pop your champagne cork, or don't, drink your coffee, or give it up, make your resolutions or don't, but do your best to have an awesome year, whatever it takes.


Happy New Year, however you celebrate it!

Comments