This is NOT a vacation post...

Three full hours of driving, several rest stops at Timmies and a couple of grocery stores, checking the GPS more than 2 or 3 times en route, we finally arrived at our summer get-a-way last year.  About 30 minutes North of Maniwaki, Quebec, Canada, resides a beautiful place called 'Reservoir Basketong'. 

So last summer I hit the big 55... I know some of you are saying "only 55?", while a majority the younger generation is saying "Not dead yet?"  So, yes -  I'm somewhere in between.

Fifty-five is really a milestone in most men's lives - more  so than 50, way-more than 40.  This is the age we actually start consider retiring from work... and that means we are getting OLD!

As we finished unpacking the car, and took a few extra minutes to catch our breath, I glanced out over the dock and noticed 2 young guys trying to catch some fish.  The first urge to hit me was to walk out, give them some advice on lures, casting, moving the bait and more, but I was simply too beat, so I didn't.

It was then that it hit me.  I wasn't a young man anymore.  I wanted to give younglings advice, I was tired from a lousy 3 hour drive and unpacking. I just wanted to sit in the sun with a cold pint and relax. So I did!  While this blog isn't about the vacation itself, I figure - "what the hay, might as well post a photo while I'm semi-on topic."

(Side note: woke up 3 hrs later with a nice sun burn and peeved wife - who cooked a nice dinner whilst I slept).

Okay, I'm really straying here now.... sorry.

After all was said and done, I felt a deep sense of wonder at the vastness of this place, which of course, after many sidebars and distractions (not to mention a number of Sleeman's - with the occasional chaser) - eventually led me to wonder how the heck I am ever going to retire? 

Several months earlier, my #3 son and I had been discussing finances, budgeting, interest rates, home ownership and all the ilk that comes along with it.  It was at that point I really started digging into my own plan.

By the way - #3 son graduated from business college, has a well paying job in finance, and is doing fantastic for a young guy. This is him and his girlfriend below.  He makes a point out of showing up at whatever cottage I rent every year.  He always attempts to drink me under the table, and has won a couple of times - but only a couple!!!


Back to topic - You see, I actually have a plan that involved retiring at 60 and enjoying those last years... A plan that is 'sort of' working.  The 'sort-of' stems from unexpected expenses, costs, car replacements and lots more.  No need for details here, everyone in my age range knows what I'm talking about or has experienced similar events.

So - as I sat, nursing yet another cold Sleeman's, I started taking stock of things I could do after retiring to boost my income.  (For those of you that don't know what Sleeman's is - in my opinion - it's the best beer in Canada).

My background is marketing, with a side order of graphic skills and some writing talent.  I figured I could start bumping my blog and writing - while earning a meager penny or two from allowing google ads on my blog. Yes, I actually have earned $51 to date doing this... Don't tell the wife, I haven't got the cheque yet!

I figured if I could earn $51 in a year writing a small number of posts, imagine what I could earn if I wrote daily or even semi-weekly blogs?  Well after some number crunching, It might cover my trip to this cottage in a future year (2023 perhaps?).

So this didn't seem like a great option.  But then I got to thinking even more.  If I offer my marketing skills and design skills to the general public I could earn a few more $ on the side... but heck that's what I do at work now, and get paid well for it, so it would be like I never retired.

I wanted to find a way to do things I enjoy, like a hobby, and get paid for it... So - I figured, back in the 1980's I used to prostitute myself by doing wedding photography and I've taken a few thousand news photos (from my journalist days), so I should be able to take some cool picts, do some Photoshop editing here and there and sell them on Shutterstock.com or perhaps Dreamstime.com.  So I did!  I have actually uploaded about 50-60 approved images on each site for sale.... AND I've sold 13 photo's for a grand total of.... don't hold your breath ... $6.25

So - these two grandiose ideas may not end up allowing me to retire independently wealthy.

FYI:  Anyone wants to check my portfolio, feel free, the links are below.

At any rate, to make this blog come to an end, but yet - leave it open for a sequel - I'm still looking for ideas!

My plan you ask?  Simple, work until all my debt - or most of it is paid (2021 or perhaps early 2022), continue to add to my RRSP and TFSA, bank any extra income from this high paying blog (if you see ads you like, they are all virus and malware free - according to Google - so don't be afraid to check them out) and add more photos to my portfolio. (At least I have fun taking them - even if they don't sell millions of copies)

OH - YES - the most successful part - do a lot of praying, create a budget so that my pension covers the rest... and .... oh ya .... and make sure the wife never retires :)

But really - the point to this story? ... don't quit your day job  - until all your debts are paid.

Shutterstock: http://www.shutterstock.com/g/Clarke+Colin?rid=4369486

Dreamstime: https://www.dreamstime.com/Colinclarke_portfolio_pg1#res11271985

Comments