Of Zamboni's and Volunteerism

Last week, Mike MaGuire - a candidate for City of Ottawa Mayor, mentioned - in one of his announcements - that there are many ways in which City Hall could find savings. He mentioned a lot of tax saving options - but only 1 made the news and he has been ridiculed for it. Typical Ottawans - find one aspect and jump on it, while ignoring all the other mentions.

Over the years - whenever government- of any level tries to find savings, they always speak of finding more efficient ways.  Invariably this exercise always ends in job cuts, service cuts and higher taxes.
Last week, an honest man, thought out-side the box about possible ways of saving funds.  And honestly, this was just one cost saving venture - no people not his whole platform!!!

I have 4 children, all played sports of one or another type.  All the teams and sports required parents to volunteer in one respect or another.  This ranged from coaching, umpiring, training, yard markers, fund raising, team managers to equipment managers and so on.  I was always one of those volunteers.  So were many other parents.

I remember coaching one of my sons Bantam games one year and during a game, recalled looking into the stands at the parents who just sit on their duff game-after-game watching their children play and felt envious of them.  I recall thinking "how nice it would be to just sit and watch for a change."

Well, when my youngest played football I got to do just that.  I sat in the bleachers watching him game after game.  Man - was I bored!  Sure I loved watching him make nice tackles, knock down a pass, sac the QB, but what I would have done to be behind the bench!

In the case of hockey, I've heard - so many times - "wouldn't it be cool to drive a Zamboni?" And I tell you what - offer this opportunity to most 30-40 year old men - instead of sitting in a cold arena drinking bad coffee and chatting with overbearing parents - who complain about their kids ice-time.... and most men would jump at the opportunity.

To ANYONE who says Mike MaGuire is small minded - you need your head examined.  Here is a guy who is looking at ways to cut back on Ottawa's over spending, and looking for ways to save YOUR children from 'our' (or should we say Jim Watson's) debt, without cutting staff.

If I had a vote - it would be for Mike MaGuire - a smart man, an honest man, and a guy who can change Ottawa for the better without spending it into Oblivion. By-the-way -  if offered the opportunity to drive a Zamboni, sign me up!!!

Comments